GLOBAL STUDIES / GLOBAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION
Fred L. Wilson Elementary: 704-932-8656
Jackson Park Elementary: 704-933-2831
G. W. Carver Elementary: 704-932-4161
¿Es usted una familia de habla hispana y tiene preguntas? Por favor comuniquese con Janeth Ramirez en email@example.com o al 704-431-3675.
What are Magnet Schools?
Magnet schools are traditional public schools that offer specialized programs or courses. They teach the same standard curriculum as all other NC public schools while providing a special emphasis in certain subject areas, such as the arts, foreign language, or global studies.
Open to All Students
Magnet schools are open to students from across the KCS district. Students do not have to live within the magnet school’s attendance zone in order to take part in a magnet program. However, they must be enrolled in Kannapolis City Schools. Space is limited in all magnet programs, so KCS will accept applications beginning in January of each year. If there are more applications than available seats, KCS will use a lottery system to select students for magnet programs.
High Academic Achievement
Even though magnet schools focus on a specific subject or theme, research shows that students who attend magnet schools excel in all subject areas.
G.W. Carver Elementary
G.W Carver Elementary is the home of the A+ Arts magnet program. A+ Arts is the largest, longest running,and most successful arts-based magnet program in the nation. At G.W. Carver, arts instruction is embedded into all subjects and curriculum. Students receive high quality instruction in all core areas with music,art,dance, and theater. Hands on learning combined with partnerships with local professional artists and organizations, including the Cabarrus Arts Council provide ongoing activities and instructional experiences.
Features of A+ Arts at GWC:
- One of 64 A+ schools in North Carolina, and one of two in Cabarrus County
- Arts Integration in all aspects of content and curriculum
- Teachers receive additional, focused training,support, and mentoring for A+ Art
- Collaboration with local and state level artorganizations, and partners in the field of education to support art based projects
Fred L. Wilson & Jackson Park Elementary Schools
Fred L. Wilson Elementary and Jackson Park Elementary are home to two KCS magnet programs: Global Studies and Spanish Language Immersion. The two programs are part of the highly successful Participate education program and work together to give students a strong global outlook and prepare them for success in an international economy.
Here are features of the Global Studies and Spanish Language Immersion programs:
- Global Studies and Spanish Language Immersionprograms offer high quality instruction in all subject areas including reading, math, science, and social studies
- Participation has shown to raise student success and reduce student achievement gaps
- Classes are taught by current KCS teachers as well as teachers from the Visiting International Faculty Program
- Students in our Spanish Language Immersionprogram will be immersed in instruction in both English and Spanish, which not only develops them as bilingual but also significantly strengthens their literacy and academic skills
- All students benefit from the Global Studies program at both schools. Each grade level is assigned a region of focus, and while our curriculum aligns with the North Carolina Standard Course of Study, our teachers at both schools will take these learning objectives and put a wonderful global spin on it.
- The Global Studies program includes all Fred L.Wilson and Jackson Park students. The Spanish Language Immersion program is open to enrolling kindergarten students each year at both schools.At both schools, limited slots are available for first grade students as well.
- KCS magnet programs are open to kindergarten through 5th grade students
- Transportation is offered for magnet programs – other programs are available by elementary school choice and transportation is not available outside of the home school zone
- Space is limited in magnet programs. KCS accepts applications to fill available slots. If there are not enough spaces to accept all students that apply,KCS uses a lottery system select students for its magnet programs
- Elementary School Choice program is also available to allow families to apply