Department of Programs for Exceptional Children
Every child is uniquely different; look beyond the surface, a gift awaits you.
Kannapolis City Schools Department of Programs for Exceptional Children provides an array of services across the continuum.
- Kannapolis City Schools provides O.T. services, P.T. Services, Speech and Adapted PE to all students who are eligible on a weekly/daily basis
- Kannapolis City Schools has a functioning Autism Problem-Solving team
- Every school has special education teachers on staff
Goals of the Department
- Every school within the Kannapolis City School District will receive the resources needed to provide specialized instruction for all children identified under IDEA
- To intervene as early as possible and provide supports so that the child will be successful in school
- To provide professional development opportunities for staff to grow and continue learning on how to best meet the needs of our students
- To provide ongoing monitoring for teachers in meeting the goals established through our Continuous Improvement Performance Plan
- NCSIP Grant – 2010-11 through 2013. This grant was awarded to help improve reading skills for all of our students. All EC teachers serving grades K-8 are trained in Reading Foundations
- Innovative Minigrant Award – This grant was awarded to help establish an Independent Living Center Program at the high school level