Driver's Education Course Precautions and Safety
Effective immediately it will cost $5.00 to get a duplicate of a Driver Education certificate.
Kanapolis City Schools will begin remote driver's education as well as the behind the wheel portion of the class this Thursday, July 16th. Driver's Education instructors will be reaching out to students to arrange classes and driving. We will be prioritizing students who were in progress at the time of the COVID shutdown.
In order to provide the safest environment possible for our students and staff the following protocols are in place as required by the NCDHHS:
- Designated pick up and drop off points that are in safe locations for each car that allow social distancing when communicating with parents and student drivers
- Teachers/Instructors are required to conduct a daily health self-assessment, including a daily attestation, indicating they do not have symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or a temperature of 100.4°F or higher, have not, to their knowledge, been in contact with a person or persons who have been diagnosed with COVID-19, have not been told to isolate due to a diagnosis of COVID-19, have not been told to quarantine due to an exposure by a health official, are not awaiting test results for a COVID-19 test (if tested as a result of symptoms or exposure),
- Prior to entering the vehicle and in-between student drivers,teachers/instructors and student drivers are required to wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, they are required to use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol,
- Students will be instructed to maintain social distancing while waiting to begin a driving session; students are required to remain in their vehicle or
other designated open area where they are social distancing from others until the previous student has exited the vehicle, the vehicle has been cleaned and disinfected and the teacher/instructor notifies the student(s) the driving session is to begin,
- Teachers/Instructors are required to screen students daily using the Middle and High School Screening Checklist prior to beginning each driving session,
- Teachers/Instructors are required to practice social distancing while instructing outside of the vehicle and when conversing with parents,
- Teachers/Instructors and students are required to wear cloth face coverings, unless they have a documentation from a medical provider that they have a medical or behavioral condition contraindication,
- Adequate ventilation must be allowed in the car, with windows crackedand heating/AC to mix air from the outside air through the vehicle during the driving
- No more than two students in the vehicle (one student in the front seat and one student in the back seat) with the teacher/instructor
seated in the front passenger seat.
- Hand sanitizer, tissues, and a waste receptacle will be in each vehicle, and students willbe instructed in the proper use of each while in the
- Teachers will advise that the driving session will be stopped at any point if the students or teachers begin to show symptoms (for example cough, fever, chills, shortness of breath),
- Records of Teacher/Instructor and students must be kept to inform local health authorities’ contact tracing activities if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19.
The vehicles are required to be cleaned and disinfected using EPA approved disinfectants effective against SARS-CoV-2 before each driving session and allow for the proper contact time for the chemical prior to beginning the driving session. Such cleaning and disinfecting shall include but not be limited to the following contact surfaces:
- Door handles (outside and inside)
- Hard seats and seatbelts
- Steering column
- Steering wheel
- Seat controls, head restraints, and arm rests
- Dashboard controls
- Turn signals
- Gearshift knobs
- Rear view mirror and adjustments
- Fuel door release lever
- Keys and Key Fobs
- Any writing utensil used
- Other frequently touched surfaces
Parents are required to assess the health of their student driver and to complete the attestation form proviuded by the instructor. The completed attestation must be provided to the Teacher/Instructor prior to each BTW driving session.
If students have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and has not met the criteria to return to school, or displays symptoms of COVID-19, they will be unable to participate in the driving session or enter the vehicle.
Given the moderate social distancing in the vehicle, parents/guardians will be asked to take the temperature of their child as part of the health assessment. Any student with a temperature at or above 100.4F will be unable to participate in the driving session or enter the vehicle.
Parents/guardians should not leave the school property until they know their student has been cleared to enter the vehicle per screening.
Parents/guardians are required to practice social distancing and must wear cloth face coverings when interacting with the teacher/instructor or others on the driving site.
If you have any questions, your instructor is your first point of conact for information.
Homeschool questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org