Remote Learning Opportunities For Students
Kannapolis City Schools is excited to be able offer our students ongoing remote learning opportunities throughout our current closure due to COVID-19. We appreciate the work of many instructional leaders (administrators, coordinators, teachers, instructional coaches, curriculum support groups, etc.) who created and will continue to create the many great resources on this page. While we fully understand that members of our KCS community will face many challenges during this unprecedented time, we are committed to not only helping our students, families and staff members meet those challenges, but we also agree that there are certain commitments we should make regarding the continuation of instruction through the duration of our closure. We are committed to the following:
- Helping to meet our students’ nutritional, social/emotional, and other support needs before we focus on instruction
- Ensuring that our learning opportunities are designed so that the educational needs of all students are met
- Providing additional resources/support to help meet the needs of EC, EL, and AIG students
- Understanding that access to communication, connectivity, parent support at home, technology devices, and transportation. are all potential barriers for students in being able to equitably and consistently complete remote learning opportunities
- Recognizing that in addition to the above commitments, we also remain committed to providing ongoing learning opportunities for students...learning is always important, even while we hope to address other student needs
- Not requiring students to complete the learning opportunities but instead providing valuable, standards-aligned, (mostly) new content that will allow students to participate in some of the learning that would have otherwise occurred
- Supporting the concept that the process of learning is highly important...even if not tied to our normal grading process
- Requiring our teachers to provide timely, ongoing, and valuable feedback on students’ work
- Following the state recommendation that students’ grades (their standing as of March 13th) not be negatively impacted while schools are closed
- Allowing our students, as appropriate and within the guidelines set by the state, to complete remote learning opportunities for grade improvement (to improve their standing from where it was on March 13th.
- Be responsive---Please respond when your teacher or another KCS staff member reaches out to check on you.
- Be respectful---Please follow the same guidelines with how you communicate with other staff members (and possibly students) during remote learning.
- Be responsible--Use technology responsibly (whether your own or a device from KCS); be responsible with any instructional platform (for example, Dojo) or Learning Management System (for example, Canvas) that you are using; be responsible with your time and communication (including using virtual communication methods, such as Zoom, Google Meet...and even emailing) responsibly
- Be yourself--Remote learning is new for many of our students and staff. If you need help, let us know...please do not think you are expected to be a master at this experience. Ask for help.
- Participate---We have provided details of how the learning opportunities can benefit you. We will share more details on how they could impact you academically (even for grade improvement). Take advantage of as much as you can!
- Be proactive---Stay ahead as much as possible. New material will be uploaded each week. It is to your benefit to not fall behind on previously posted materials.
- Set a schedule---Carve out time to work every day that you are able to do so. Providing structure is important and will help you stay on schedule. As much as you can, try to work during the KCS Connects times when teachers are readily available.
- Stay positive---Millions of students across the country are dealing with similar challenges. We are in this together, but we care about each of you and hope you will recognize this as a positive opportunity to improve.