About Kannapolis City Schools
Before there was a town of Kannapolis, there were little one-room schools where all grades met together. Charles McIver School was opened in 1908 with a principal, Clell Caldwell, and three elementary teachers, Misses Ollie Cook, Maggie Efird, and Dora Moser. There was no central heating, central air, or even plumbing in the school. The school enrolled about 200 students in 1909. James Cannon donated land and loaned the school board $2,500 for construction of the school. Ten years later the high school curriculum was added with the first high school class, consisting of 5 girls, graduating in 1921. In the fall of 1917, the second school was built on land donated by J.W. Cannon. It was a two-story, eight room school with seven teachers and one principal. The school was located in the north end of town and was referred to as the “North School”. McIver School then became known as the “South School”. In later years, it was named Woodrow Wilson. A few years later a third school was built in the southeast section of town and was named Centerview School. In 1924, the J.W. Cannon High School was built east of town.
The Kannapolis City School System was created by the North Carolina Legislature on March 28, 1935. J. W. Bullock became superintendent and remained in that position until his retirement in 1971. Dr. Grier Bradshaw served from 1971-1989. Ralph Johnson served from 1989-1992, and Dr. Edward B. Tyson served from 1992 until June, 2001. On July 1, 2001, Dr. Jo Anne A. Byerly became the fifth superintendent of Kannapolis City Schools and the first woman to hold the superintendent's position. Dr. Pamela Cain became the sixth superintendent in July, 2010 and served until October, 2015. In January, 2016 Dr. Daron "Chip" Buckwell was named the seventh superintendent. Additional schools built for Kannapolis City Schools were:
- Charles B. Aycock (1927) - retired in June, 1998
- Carver (1937) -Wonders Career Center 2017
- Jackson Park (1938)
- McKnight (1949)
- Shady Brook (1949 and 2006)
- A.L. Brown High School (1952)
- Fred L. Wilson (1968)
- Kannapolis Middle(1981)/Intermediate (2005)/G.W. Carver Elementary (2017)
- Kannapolis Middle - Building A (2005)
- Kannapolis Middle - Building B (2017)
- A.L. Brown STEM Academy (2011)
In 1991, a new Jackson Park Elementary School opened on the same site as the original school. In fact, one wing of the original school was included in the new building. In August 1998, Forest Park Elementary opened. It replaced Aycock Elementary which was closed in June of 1998. Kannapolis Intermediate School (5th and 6th grades) was opened during the fall of 2005. It occupied the previous (1981) Kannapolis Middle School building. The 7th and 8th grades of Kannapolis City Schools were moved to a new location (1445 Oakwood Dr.) August, 2005. In December of 2006, Shady Brook Elementary School's original building was replaced with a new facility. The school year began in the original building while construction continued. At Christmas vacation time, all furnishings were moved to the new building and the original building was sealed and consequently demolished. A student playground is now located on the 1949 school site. In June of 2017, Kannapolis Intermediate School was closed. Fifth grade students were disbursed to their local elementary schools. Sixth grade students occupy Building A at KMS while the seventh and eighth grade classrooms move to Building B on the same site. The school building at 525 E. "C" Street has been re-named G. W. Carver Elementary and houses a K-5 magnet school for the arts. Fred L. Wilson Elementary hosts another magnet school that focuses on global studies and a Spanish immersion program.