KCS Head Start awarded grant worth $255,000

KCS Head Start awarded grant worth $255,000
Posted on 09/27/2017
This is the image for the news article titled KCS Head Start awarded grant worth $255,000

The Kannapolis City Schools Head Start program has received a grant worth more than a quarter million dollars. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has awarded $255,000 to Kannapolis City Schools to renovate and upgrade the McKnight Head Start building.

“We are blessed beyond measure to get this funding,” says KCS Head Start Director, Jennifer Baucom. “Our children deserve the best in their school environment, and this grant will allow us to create a healthier and safer place for them to learn.”

The $255,000 grant will help fund construction of additional bathrooms and pay to upgrade the school's HVAC system. Kannapolis Head Start serves 220 three- and four-year old children, including many with physical disabilities. Currently, the school has only one bathroom stall for every 18 children. The renovation project will add bathrooms and replace parts of the HVAC system, which is more than 20 years old.

Baucom says the grant funds are badly needed. “Head Start is a federal program, and we don’t receive any state funding for construction or renovation. That makes it hard for us to do needed improvements. This grant will fund 75% of the renovation costs, and Kannapolis City Schools will provide the remaining 25%. It will make a big difference for our children.”

Work to upgrade the HVAC system will begin later this year, and bathroom construction will take place next summer. The renovations will be complete by next July.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.